This heartbeat meditation is a beautiful way to connect with your heart, your “inner flame” and the simple joy of being alive.
In a spiritual sense, your heart is your point of connection with the divine and with all life underneath the sun. Feeling for your physical heartbeat is its own kind of meditation — uplifting and centering, practical and sacred.
It's great when you're stressed, anxious, down, grieving, angry, or just need to chill out.
As you sync with the inner rhythm of life, you might even sense a flicker of light that’s still on inside. Even after everything, even the middle of everything.
If you'd rather listen to a guided version, get my Healing Heart Space guided meditation. It's a balm for all your feelings.
A Heartbeat Meditation for Self-Love and Healing
1. Settle into a comfortable seated position. With your spine straight and strong, relax your shoulders. Take a few long, easy breaths in and out your nose.
2. Bring your left hand to your heart. Place your right hand over your left. Close your eyes. Feel your heart beating in your chest. Here you are.
3. With a steady inhale, let any thoughts melt into pure sensation as you turn inward. With a long exhale, your entire consciousness drops from your head into the open, generous space of your heart. Witness this descent with a calm and quiet awareness.
4. Feel the warmth of your hands, the subtle rising and falling of your chest. If any strong emotions, memories, or embers of desire spark your attention, simply be here to witness them. Breathe into and through it all. Notice that your heart is big enough to hold everything.
5. At the top of your next inhale, hold your breath for about 3 seconds, if you comfortably can. While holding, listen and feel how your heart beats louder in your chest. The longer you hold, the louder your heartbeat will be.
6. Release the breath and extend your exhale, making it longer and deeper than usual. You can repeat this exercise, or return to normal breathing if you wish. Enjoy the synchronicity of breath and heart.
7. Before you release the meditation, take a moment to sense just how intelligent your body is, how devoted to your existence it is. Every long, deep breath is exactly what your heart has been looking for. Heartbeat by heartbeat, your veins become rivers of life. Breath by breath, vitality reaches every cell... trillions of cells that want you to keep breathing.
Affirmations for Heart Healing:
- Everything I feel is allowed to take up space. My heart is big enough to hold it all.
- Even when my heart is breaking, it still beats with devotion. Within my pain is a quiet joy: the miracle of existence. There is an ocean of infinite love within me.
- I always keep a light on in my heart. I can always find my way back home.
. . .
How did you feel after you read/did this meditation? Which part of this spoke to you the most?
Tell me in the comments. I'd love to know what you're thinking, what you're feeling.
P.S. Get the full audio version of this heartbeat meditation. It really is quite beautiful...