Whether you want to get sober, stay sober, or just take a sabbatical from substances for a while, I hope these positive affirmations for sobriety inspire you to love your decision (and your life) even more.
Back in November, I decided to cut alcohol out of my life. I’ve taken season-long sabbaticals from drinking in the past but this time around, I’m actually excited to see how much better my life can be for it.
If you’ve survived the unthinkable before -- loss, trauma, illness -- you’ve had a chance to learn how resilient you can be. Deciding to get and stay sober is another chance to address some deep-seated fears, dig in and discover who you really are.
It takes courage to take off your masks and be at peace with who you are.
It takes real strength of mind and heart to think differently about yourself.
This post is a reminder that feelings are transient and thoughts are malleable. It’s YOU who has the power to direct your thoughts and withstand tough emotions. And make something new out of this life.
Repeating positive affirmations about yourself will help you feel more emotionally comfortable and capable in the face of difficult circumstances. You’ll cultivate the emotional intelligence you need to face your fears and temptations with a calm confidence in yourself.
Like any recovery skill, adopting a set of affirmations takes time and consistency to master. You’ll forget who you are, you’ll let your emotions get the best of you, and you’ll lose sight of the goals that matter most to you. It’s okay.
Let yourself be human.
These affirmations validate the good in you. They’ll reinforce an optimistic (and realistic) perspective and then encourage behaviors that support that belief.
Respect the process. You don't need to rush anything. This is YOUR process.
If you remain conscious of your deeper motivations, you might be surprised by how beautiful your life can be.
My wish for you:
May your love of life win you over.
To support your sobriety (or a friend's) even more, check out my shop for art prints, encouragement cards, affirmation and ritual books, and meditations.
20 Affirmations for Sobriety
- I believe in the mystery and the magic of starting new. (get the art print here)
- I can’t change the past, but I have a say in what happens now. My direction matters more than where I’ve been.
- I am becoming a better person every day that I’m sober. I am proud of my decisions and stronger in who I am.
- I am enough, just as I am right now. I have everything I need inside of me to be the person I want to be.
- I respect my body. I respect my heart. I respect my future.
- I am stronger than I ever thought I could be.
- To your younger self, “I forgive you. I love you. I believe in who you can be.”
- “Sorrow is a portal to heightened wisdom. Anger can lead to creative action. Dark nights turn into the dawn of a new chapter.” -- Danielle LaPorte
- When I make a mistake, I own up to it and do my best to make things right. My comeback is more important than my setback.
- I take responsibility for how I respond to the things that happen to me because I value my inner peace.
- I am in control of my life. I honor all of my feelings. I stand up for what I believe in. I express myself in healthy ways. I am the author of my story, my story matters, and my story isn’t over.
- I have the mental strength to resist temptation.
- I have so much to live for and I want to be present for it all. I’m determined to live and love every day like it’s the most important day of my life.
- “I am going to make everything around me more beautiful -- that will be my life.” -- Elsie de Wolfe
- When I champion other people, I make progress toward my own goals. Helping others helps me. I’m constantly learning how to be a better friend to everyone around me.
- I am living proof that change can be a beautiful thing.
- I’m investing in my future self.
- I want my passion and my presence to be the most beautiful things about me. (get the art print here)
- I am willing to love myself a little bit more each day. My self-love is one of the greatest gifts I can give to the people around me. And loving others is one of the best ways to build love inside of me.
- My heart is big enough to hold every emotion, every dream and every fear, every sorrow and every joy. I am a patchwork of dark and light. I am mind, body, and spirit. I am resilient and brave enough to keep going.
For more ideas and affirmations in art print form, for you or a friend, see what's in my shop.
. . .
Which of these affirmations do you love the most right now?
Tell me in the comments. I'd love to know what speaks to your life and process!