I'm definitely a "look at the moon!" sort of person. You?
I think it's because meditating on the moon is grounding AND uplifting.
With your body resting on the earth and your eyes to the sky, it’s hard not to feel lifted out of your worries, plucked from your grievances, and planted firmly in the knowing that life on earth is a gift.
Because of the moon’s phases and connection to water and the tides, it's said to represent our emotions and our subconscious mind. In other words, there's a lot more to see beneath the surface.
And since it's a season of change, I have a special moon meditation for you today :)
As you look up and go inward, feel the intimate bond you share with the moon. Feel how well you fit into the rhythms of nature.
Feel how fluid you are, how luminous you are, how you're right where you're supposed to be: on the earth, contemplating your own existence.
Feel the miracle and the gravity of your own being here.
I hope this moon meditation makes you feel at home inside your own skin. And if not, get my Belonging guided meditation, and you will.
A Sensory Moon Meditation for Emotional Healing
1. You can sit, stand, or lie down on the earth for this meditation. Begin by relaxing your body and taking a few deep breaths.
2. Gaze up at the moon. Take in the size, shape, and glow of Earth’s natural satellite. It might be hovering bright and round or barely there, or somewhere in the middle like a crescent of sliver in the sky. Realize that you, right here, are part of the earth’s intimate dance with the moon and the sun — always changing.
3. Try to see the rocky nature of the moon, pockmarked with craters formed by asteroid impacts millions of years ago. Pick out every detail your eyes can see, every imperfection, every celestial hill and valley.
4. If the moon is barely visible, notice this too. Sense its cool darkness, one step to or away from fullness, and marvel at its grandeur even in its absence.
5. Watch the moonlight stroll across the earth, illuminating the tops of the trees and shining on things you’d otherwise not see in complete darkness.
6. Take a moment to connect with your breath. Celebrate the phases of the moon that mirror the rising and falling of sea levels, the cycles of growth and harvest, and the cycles of your body. Transcend your mind and feel the divinity within: the life within you. Honor the sacred rhythms of life, inside and out. As above, so below.
7. Knowing your body is made up mostly of water, you might even sense the moon’s subtle influence on you. Feel whatever emotions arise (or fade away) like the tides. Like the moon, whether you’re in your whole radiance or not, underneath the surface there is layer upon layer of depth to you.
Affirmations inspired by the moon:
- “I am renewed by the light of the moon.”
- “I am creative. I matter. I am always on time.”
- “I belong here, in the infinite dance of life.”
. . .
Take this poetry print home with you: "If you're the moon, it's not the sun that affirms your light: it's the darkness that makes you shine."
When you do this moon meditation, how does it make you feel?
Tell me in the comments. I'd love to know!