When your world comes crashing down, you have a chance to do something you couldn’t have done before: rise up.
You can only be reborn if you’ve known what it feels like to die inside.
Your story might be called “Resilience” or “Hope” or even “Freedom.” It’s the story of the phoenix.
If you need an extra spark of hope today, read these phoenix quotes. Or, get my handwritten poetry print: "Wear your scars to show how a phoenix is born from ashes and hope."
Suffering changes you. If you let it, what happens to you becomes fuel for something new. It’s a teacher you learn how to not run away from. If you can do that (and you can), you’ll learn how to live through what you thought would destroy you.
Falling apart gives you a reason to build something new.
One thing that helps? Sharing your story. Telling your truth. It’s a healing, not only for you but for those who want to know how they, too, can rise from the ashes of destruction.
How many times do you rise after you've come crashing down? Every single time.
If you’re ready to see how you can take your pain and give back differently, read these phoenix quotes. They’ll give you a glimpse of what’s possible when it seems like nothing’s left.
Believe in your ability to rise from your own fallen ashes to become brighter and more beautiful than ever before. You can do that. You were born for that.
25 Phoenix Quotes for the Broken Who Shall Be Renewed
1. “Sometimes the worst thing that happens to you, the thing you think you can’t survive… it’s the thing that makes you better than you used to be.” ― Jennifer Weiner, Fly Away Home
2. “For a star to be born, there is one thing that must happen: a gaseous nebula must collapse. So collapse. Crumble. This is not your destruction. This is your birth.” — Zoe Skylar (I think)
3. “From the ashes, a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring…” — J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
4. “Hope rises like a phoenix from the ashes of shattered dreams.” – S.A. Sachs
5. “I’ve died a thousand deaths, each time reinventing myself brighter, stronger, and purer than before. From the midst of destruction, I became the creator of myself. From the midst of darkness, I became my own source of light.” — Cristen Rodgers
6. “Suffering can lead to transformation. And redemption. And marvelous mystery.” — Dr. Allen Hunt
7. “Temper us in fire, and we grow stronger. When we suffer, we survive.” — Cassandre Clare, City of Heavenly Fire
8. “What matters most is how well you walk through the fire.” — Charles Bukowski
9. “Here in this suffering, all previous beliefs are called into question. They are consumed in the fire sparked and fueled by our own illusion. The pain becomes the ashes we are now entombed in. It is only when we find ourselves at this most imprisoned of junctures that we emerge again, the phoenix of our very life which is ever so much more beautiful than the last one.” — TEAL
10. “I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.” — Maya Angelou
11. “Life tried to crush her, but only succeeded in creating a diamond.” — John Mark Green
12. “Faith is the bird that feels the light and sings when the dawn is still dark.” — Rabindranath Tagore
13. “She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she’s won.” — Matt Baker
14. “And when all that was left was ashes, she would again clothe herself in flame. Rising from the dust of her past to rekindle the spark of her future. She was a Phoenix, her own salvation; rebirthed, renewed, resurrected.” — LaRhonda Toreson
15. “Often it’s the deepest pain which empowers you to grow into your highest self.” — Karen Salmansohn
16. “A heart filled with love is like a phoenix that no cage can imprison.” — Rumi
17. “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” — Kahlil Gibra
18. “In order to rise / From its own ashes / A phoenix / First / Must / Burn.” — Octavia E. Butler, Parable of the Talents
19. “Ready must thou be to burn thyself in thine own flame; how couldst thou become new if thou have not first become ashes!” — Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
20. “We are more than the worst thing that’s ever happened to us. All of us need to stop apologizing for having been to hell and come back breathing.” — Clementine von Radics, Broken
21. “The phoenix must burn to emerge.” — Janet Fitch, White Oleander
22. “I no longer feared the darkness once I knew the phoenix in me would rise from the ashes.” — William C. Hannan
23. “Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high, Still I’ll rise.” — Maya Angelou
24. “And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” — Haruki Murakami
25. “And just as the Phoenix rose from the ashes, she too will rise. Returning from the flames, clothed in nothing but her strength, more beautiful than ever before.” — Shannen Heartzs
. . .
Which of these quotes is your favorite?
Tell me in the comments. I read every single one, and I’d love to know!
Never stop wondering how you can rise brighter than you were before.
P.S. Never forget how valuable you are, how far you’ve come. Go visit my shop to find the perfect poetry print that celebrates you in your fullness, in your mess and magic and everything in between.