When's the last time you said thank you for the food on your plate?
“Thank you” is one of the best prayers I can think of. But if you’re looking for another way to say “grace” at the table, here you go: 11 food blessings that’ll make your meals taste better and your heart, fuller.
I mean, food: what a gift.
But when’s the last time you felt connected to the food on your plate -- grateful to your core that you live on a planet with *so much life* that supports you being here for another meal?
It’s one of the best feelings.
I want to feel that way more often. You, too?
The thing is, I’m not all that into saying “grace” at the table. But since my boyfriend brought up wanting to say something before we eat, I got to thinking… and writing...
Take your favorites from these food blessings and start a new ritual today. One that celebrates what a miracle it is to be here at all. Never mind the fact that you’re here with other people, with so many experiences to have and share.
These food blessings aren’t long and drawn out.
You can read through all 11 in sequence if you want, or use any one/ combination for a blessing that's short and just as meaningful.
Bless your breakfast, your latte, your dinner, your snacks.
Every meal is a chance to feel connected to the earth. To feel gratitude in your heart for what you’re capable of doing with your time here. And to enjoy the fruits of your labor, quite literally.
“When eating a fruit, think of the person who planted the tree.” – Vietnamese Proverb
11 Food Blessings for Grateful Hearts and Bellies
1. Thank you, Mother Earth: for all of this.
2. Thank you for another chance to be together, to eat together, and to celebrate being alive at the same time, in the same place, for the same meal.
3. May this food (and drink) fill our bellies, and our hearts.
4. May we see everything on this table as more than just something to consume. May we see it as a source of life and nourishment for what we most want to do with our time here.
5. We take what’s here with open hearts and gratitude. We receive, so that we can give back.
6. For all who go hungry today, we offer up a prayer for hope. For all who hurt, we ask for some relief. For every soul that’s struggling right now, we pray grace meets them wherever they are. To all those who are missed and missing from the table, we dedicate this meal and we live, in honor of them.
7. We take nothing here for granted.
8. We honor the life that was offered up so that we might be sustained. We accept this gift of life with respect, and deep reverence, for all that has come and gone before us.
9. Through this offering, may we find communion with each other and with the source of all life here on earth.
10. Just as this food serves us, may we be of service to the world in our own ways.
11. May this meal be blessed. May we be blessed.
Cheers/ Amen / And so it is.
. . .
Which of these food blessings do you want to make a ritual out of?
Tell me in the comments. I read every single one, and I’d love to know!
P.S. Interested in blessing your body, or your whole house? Get my book Sleep Rituals for 100 ideas on celebrating your own existence, and falling asleep feeling better about it all. Think: recipes, messages of hope, prayers, affirmations, and a boatload more.