If you need some help letting go of what's weighing you down, here's some inspiration. It's called a "universe box" and you can use it to make it through whatever you're going through... with less anxiety and more hope.
“When we finally give up the struggle to find fulfillment ‘out there’ we have nowhere to go but within. It is at this moment of total surrender that a new light begins to dawn.” – Shakti Gawain
What’s blocking you? It might be a fear, procrastination, the way you think about yourself, trying to be perfect, a relationship, or something else.
Here's a practice to get you out of your own way. So you can move forward.
Asking for Guidance Frees You to Move Forward
Thankfully, the underlying intelligence of the universe, the "thing" that makes flowers grow and worlds spin, has a plan that's greater than you could ever come up with on your own.
At least, that's a helpful thing to believe in, for the purposes of letting go and moving on.
Sometimes, how things turn out look similar to the vision you had in your head. Other times, life happens a lot different than the way you thought it would.
If you’re willing to give up your worries to a greater plan, you allow things to be reorganized for you, through you. Asking for help makes space for new answers. It frees you to look for solutions instead of fixate on what's wrong.
“When you move on, the universe moves with you.” – Rune Lazuli
How Your Universe Box Works
Whenever you can't let go of a nagging thought, write a thank-you note to the universe. Thank this higher intelligence (whatever you believe in) for carrying this burden for you, so you don't have to.
Then, drop this note into a container of your own choosing. You could even burn it in a fire pit if you wanted to.
Essentially, you're giving up the fight. Which doesn't mean you're giving up. You're just letting go of what you don't need to control so you can focus on what you can do from here.
Instead of a thank-you note, you could make this more of a prayer, asking for guidance or a sign. Either way, you open yourself up to support, simply by taking your "hands off the wheel."
Inspiration for Your Universe Box
Here are some personal notes from my own universe box to help you with yours. I start each note with “Thank you, Universe, for…”
- … taking care of the time frame and objective for me, reminding me that I just need to focus on how I’m being right now.
- … placing in my sight what is thriving in my life, and taking care of what I haven’t been able to grow myself.
- … pouring light on my troubling circumstances so that I can see my way through them.
- … shedding light on what isn’t mine to carry, and helping me shed the weight of it.
- … the good things that have yet to come, and for extracting my need to know how they will come.
- … releasing my need to be anywhere other than where I am.
- … taking my need to get it all done.
- … taking my resent and turning it into forgiveness.
- … replacing my expectation with appreciation.
- … helping me be a calm island in the middle of the drama.
- … writing through me.
It’s okay to be general and it’s okay to be specific. Whatever works for you is the right way.
When you get in the habit of asking for help, you'll get better at receiving help. And that makes all the difference.
Seeing things in a new light is the light we've been looking for.
. . .
What do you need to let go of today?
Tell me in the comments. I read every single one, and I’d love to know!
P.S. Need help letting go at night? Get my book Sleep Affirmations. No matter what you're going through, no matter what needs to change, you'll get light where you need it most. And you’ll feel… better.