What if forgiveness changed the past, how you see it in your mind and how you feel about it in your heart? What if it changed the future, by changing how you lived right now?
Read these forgiveness quotes if you're ready to move forward with a greater focus on how *you* live.
30 Forgiveness Quotes, Because This Is *Your* Life to Live
1. “There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love.” – Bryant H. McGill
2. “Forgiveness is the choice to see people as they are now. When we’re mad at people, we’re angry because of something they said or did before this moment. By letting go of the past, we make room for miracles to replace our grievances.” – Marianne Williamson
3. “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.” – Steve Maraboli
4. “The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” – John Green
5. “Forgiveness is the key that unlocks the door of resentment and the handcuffs of hatred. It is a power that breaks the chains of bitterness and the shackles of selfishness.” – Corrie Ten Boom
6. “You have the power to take away someone’s happiness by refusing to forgive. That someone is you.” – Alan Cohen
7. “Forgiveness is not a feeling; it is a commitment. It is a choice to show mercy, not to hold the offense up against the offender. Forgiveness is an expression of love.” – Gary Chapman
8. “Forgiveness is the final form of love.” – Reinhold Niebuhr
9. “To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness.” – Robert Muller
10. “To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.” – Lewis B. Smedes
11. “The ineffable joy of forgiving and being forgiven forms an ecstasy that might well arouse the envy of the gods.” – Elbert Hubbard
12. “Forgiveness is not forgetting, it’s letting go of the hurt.” – Mary McLeod Bethune
13. “Sometimes the measure of friendship isn’t your ability to not harm but your capacity to forgive the things done to you and ask forgiveness for your own mistakes.” – Randy K. Milholland
14. “We are told that people stay in love because of chemistry, or because they remain intrigued with each other, because of many kindnesses, because of luck. But part of it has got to be forgiveness and gratefulness.” – Ellen Goodman
15. “We all agree that forgiveness is a beautiful idea until we have to practice it.” – C.S. Lewis
16. “Life is an adventure in forgiveness.” – Norman Cousins
17. “Grudges are for those who insist that they are owed something; forgiveness, however, is for those who are substantial enough to move on.” – Criss Jami
18. “Choosing to forgive someone for past wrongdoings isn’t an act of weakness or an attempt to forget, but a courageous decision to channel our precious time into a more positive and rewarding direction.” – David Cunliffe
19. “Forgiveness is above all a personal choice, a decision of the heart to go against natural instinct to pay back evil with evil.” – Pope John Paul II
20. “To err is human; to forgive, divine.” – Alexander Pope
21. “Instead of getting even or teaching someone a lesson when they do you wrong, consider teaching yourself a lesson instead. Revenge keeps you psychically connected to another in a negative way. Release yourself through the liberating act of forgiveness, and learn a truly valuable spiritual lesson.” – Sri Gawn Tu Fahr
22. “We achieve inner health only through forgiveness—the forgiveness not only of others but also of ourselves.” – Joshua Loth Liebman
23. “The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.” – Marianne Williamson
24. “Forgiveness is the healing of the perception of separation.” – A Course In Miracles
25. “Resentment blocks the flow of prosperity. Gratitude magnifies and accelerates it. Forgiveness bridges the gap.” – Rev. David Alexander
26. “True forgiveness is not an action after the fact, it is an attitude with which you enter each moment.” – David Ridge
27. “When we embrace forgiveness, we instantaneously dissolve stagnant energies from our life, pain and anger that has no benefit or purpose, and in doing so, we open that space in our heart for greater peace, love and healing.” – David Cunliffe
28. “True forgiveness is when you can say, ‘Thank you for that experience.’” – Oprah Winfrey
29. “Forgiveness and letting go are steps on our road back to happiness.” – Rina Dayton
30. “If we can bring spiritual energy, which is love, kindness, forgiveness and so on, to the problem, we can dissolve it. It’s really just a matter of changing our mind about how we’re going to process the events in our lives.” – Wayne Dyer
. . .
Which of these forgiveness quotes did you need the most today?
Tell me in the comments. I read every single one, and I’d love to know!
P.S. Need help letting go of... everything, at the end of the day? Get my book Sleep Affirmations. It's more than a book for sleep. You might find exactly what you need… or, well, maybe it’ll find you.