Beauty is everywhere, even still. Even with the heartache, trauma, tragedy, every terrible thing. You’re not fashioned only by what happens to you, but by how you continue to love through it all. By how you’re willing to keep going, keep giving, opening, softening.
Beauty isn’t only in moments of triumph, glamour, or scenery so divine it takes your breath away.
Beauty is in the crack in the sidewalk, in the short stretches of silence, at that moment when there’s no distance between you and the person you love.
Read these quotes when you need help finding the splendor of being here. Take what you need.
19 Quotes to Remind You That Beauty Is Everywhere
1. “Life is amazing. And then it’s awful. And then it’s amazing again. And in between the amazing and awful it’s ordinary and mundane and routine. Breathe in the amazing, hold on through the awful, and relax and exhale during the ordinary. That’s just living heartbreaking, soul-healing, amazing, awful, ordinary life. And it’s breathtakingly beautiful.” – L.R. Knost
2. “The simple things are also the most extraordinary things, and only the wise can see them.” – Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
3. “We’re afraid of pain–we all are. But, all the good stuff–all the wisdom and courage we need to become the people we need to be next–is actually inside the pain.” – Glennon Moyle Delton
4. “The broken will always be able to love harder than most. Once you have been in the dark, you learn to appreciate everything that shines.” – Zachry K. Douglas
5. “Life will always be hard and life will also always be beautiful.” – Cheryl Strayed
6. “Consider and act with reference to the true ends of existence. This world is but the vestibule of an immortal life. Every action of our lives touches on some chord that will vibrate in eternity” – Edwin Hubbell Chapin, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers
7. “In the marshes the buckbean has lifted its feathery mist of flower spikes above the bed of trefoil leaves. The fimbriated flowers are a miracle of workmanship and every blossom exhibits an exquisite disorder of ragged petals finer than lace. But one needs a lens to judge of their beauty: it lies hidden from the power of our eyes, and menyanthes must have bloomed and passed a million times before there came any to perceive and salute her loveliness. The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.” – Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes
8. “If you sense there must be more, there is more.” – Alan Cohen
9. “Once you reach the summit of your own heart you will see beauty is everywhere.” – Bryant McGill
10. “Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
11. “You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.” – Max Ehrmann, Desiderata
12. “I am the happiest man alive. I have that in me that can convert poverty to riches, adversity to prosperity, and I am more invulnerable than Archilles; fortune hath not one place to hit me.” – Thomas Browne
13. “The earth is rude, silent, incomprehensible at first, Nature is rude and incomprehensible at first, Be not discouraged, keep on, there are divine things well envelop’d, I swear to you there are divine things more beautiful than words can tell.” — Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
14. “There are a thousand thousand reasons to live this life, every one of them sufficient.” — Marilynne Robinson, Gilead
15. “Earth’s crammed with heaven.” – Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Aurora Leigh
16. “’There’s always a sunrise and always a sunset and it’s up to you to choose to be there for it,’ said my mother. ‘Put yourself in the way of beauty.’” – Cheryl Strayed
17. “It may be that when we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work and when we no longer know which way to go, we have begun our real journey.” — Wendell Berry
18. “There is just wonder right in front of us, and we don’t spend enough time thinking about it.” — Michael Pollan
19. “What is required of us is that we love the difficult and learn to deal with it. In the difficult are the friendly forces, the hands that work on us. Right in the difficult we must have our joys, our happiness, our dreams: there against the depth of this background, they stand out, there for the first time we see how beautiful they are.” — Rainer Maria Rilke, Selected Letters of Rainer Maria Rilke (1960)
Which of these quotes is your favorite?
Tell me in the comments. I read every single one, and I’d love to know!
P.S. Find beauty everywhere no matter what side of the bed you woke up on. Get my book Morning Affirmations: 200 Phrases for an Intentional and Openhearted Start to Your Day. It’ll help you heal and smile when nobody’s looking.