There's nothing more beautiful than a person who chooses to be kind in the face of unkindness. Who chooses to love, even after all the terrible things they've been through. Read these quotes about kindness today to remember: how you love is your most important message. Make it your greatest gift.
40 Inspiring Quotes about Kindness
1. “Don’t wait for people to be friendly, show them how.” — Author Unknown
2. “Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.” — Franklin D. Roosevelt
3. “Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” — Mark Twain
4. “Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out.” — Frank A. Clark
5. "Kindness is the greatest wisdom." — Unknown
6. “To give and then not feel that one has given is the very best of all ways of giving.” — Max Beerbohm
7. “You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. “Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.” — George Sand
9. “Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” — Quoted in P.S. I Love You, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
10. "Kindness is in our power, even when fondness is not." — Samuel Johnson
11. “Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver.” — Barbara de Angelis
12. “Don’t cast a shadow on anyone unless you’re providing shade.” — Terri Guillemets
13. “When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.” — Abraham Joshua Heschel
14. “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” — Dalai Lama
15. "A warm smile is the universal language of kindness." — William Arthur Ward
16. “There is no greater loan than a sympathetic ear.” — Frank Tyger
17. “Nothing in life means anything unless someone cares, and the whole trick is to keep being that someone.” — Robert Brault
18. “Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.” — Scott Adams
19. “One man cannot hold another man down in the ditch without remaining down in the ditch with him.” — Booker T. Washington
20. "In about the same degree as you are helpful, you will be happy." — Karl Reiland
21. “The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you.” — John E. Southard
22. “The level of our success is limited only by our imagination and no act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.” — Aesop
23. “Never look down on anybody unless you’re helping him up.” — Jesse Jackson
24. “Kindness is just love with its work boots on.” — Author Unknown
25. “Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.” — Lucius Annaeus Seneca
26. "To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error." — Liz Armbruster
27. “When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.” — Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama
28. “Be a rainbow in someone else’s cloud.” — Maya Angelou
29. “Because that’s what kindness is. It’s not doing something for someone else because they can’t, but because you can.” — Andrew Iskander
30. “There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.” — Edith Wharton
31. “Kind people are the best kind of people.” — Author Unknown
32. "You can accomplish by kindness what you cannot by force." — Publilius Syrus
33. “The more sympathy you give, the less you need.” — Malcolm S. Forbes
34. “Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.” — James Matthew Barrie
35. “A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees.” — Amelia Earhart
36. “The everyday kindness of the back roads more than makes up for the acts of greed in the headlines.”— Charles Kuralt, On the Road With Charles Kuralt
37. "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama
38. “Unexpected kindness is the most powerful, least costly, and most underrated agent of human change.” — Bob Kerrey
39. “Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom.” — Theodore Isaac Rubin
40. “The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own.” — Benjamin Disraeli
. . .
Which of these quotes is your favorite?
Tell me in the comments. I read every single one, and I'd love to know!
P.S. Wake up with love and purpose beating in your heart every single morning, before anything or anyone else changes your mind. Get my book Morning Affirmations to help you make your difference in the world.