You might carry the accumulation of years in your body and on your face, but you can stay young at heart and not let the years weigh on your spirit. That’s one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen anyone do.
Take these quotes about growing old. They’ll encourage you to *really* live your life while you’re living it. It’s one of the wisest things you could ever do.
So many things are more important than your age. For instance… sights seen, wisdom gained, friendships made, the love of a growing family tree, this chance to be alive like you are.
40 Quotes about Growing Old to Help You Stay Young at Heart
1. “There is a certain part of all of us that lives outside of time. Perhaps we become aware of our age only at exceptional moments and most of the time we are ageless.” – Milan Jundera
2. “If wrinkles must be written upon our brows, let them not be written upon the heart. The spirit should never grow old.” – James A. Garfield
3. “He who is of a calm and happy nature will hardly feel the pressure of age, but to him who is of an opposite disposition, youth and age are equally a burden.” – Plato
4. “The longer I live the more beautiful life becomes.” – Frank Lloyd Wright
5. “Nature gives you the face you have at twenty; it is up to you to merit the face you have at fifty.” – Coco Chanel
6. “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln
7. “Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.” – Walt Disney
8. “Wrinkles merely mark where smiles have been.” – Mark Twain
9. “We are always the same age inside.” – Gertrude Stein
10. “Happiness in marriage is a moment by moment choice. A decision to love, forgive, grow and grow old together.” – Fawn Weaver
11. “Growing old with someone else is beautiful, but growing old while being true to yourself is divine.” – Dodinsky
12. “We don’t grow older, we grow riper.” – Pablo Picasso
13. “You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear, as young as your hope, as old as your despair.” – Douglas Macarthur
14. “Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.” – Henry Ford
15. “I don’t believe in aging. I believe in forever altering one’s aspect to the sun.” – Virginia Woolf
16. “None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm.” – Henry David Thoreau
17. “Know that you are the perfect age. Each year is special and precious, for you shall only live it once. Be comfortable with growing older.” – Louise Hay
18. “I am not young enough to know everything.” – J.M. Barrie
19. “Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.” – Walt Disney
20. “Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.” – Satchel Paige
21. “Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old.” – Franz Kafka
22. “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” – E.E. Cummings
23. “Today is the oldest you’ve ever been, and the youngest you’ll ever be again.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
24. “Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life.” – Daniel Francois Esprit Auber
25. “As we grow old, the beauty steals inward.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
26. “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” – George Bernard Shaw
27. “We grow neither better nor worse as we get old, but more like ourselves.” – May Lamberton Becker
28. “Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be.” – Robert Browning
29. “How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?” – Satchel Paige
30. “Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.” – Unknown
31. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
32. “Strength and beauty are the blessings of youth; temperance, however, is the flower of old age.” – Democritus
33. “To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.” – Henri Bergson
32. “Aging is not lost youth but a new stage of opportunity and strength.” – Betty Friedan
35. “Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.” – C.S. Lewis
36. “Nothing makes a woman look so old as trying desperately hard to look young.” – Coco Chanel
37. “As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” – Audrey Hepburn
38. “The trick to aging gracefully is to enjoy it.” – Unknown
39. “Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideas. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.” – Samuel Ullman
40. “The turning point in the process of growing up is when you discover the core of strength within you that survives all hurt.” – Max Lerner
. . .
Which of these quotes about growing old is your favorite?
Tell me in the comments. I’d love to know!
Never stop growing, learning, playing, or saying “I love you.”
P.S. Want to find more quotes you love? Click here for all the quotes I've ever shared here.