35 Dalai Lama Quotes from His Book, An Appeal to the World
In a world riddled with division, the Dalai Lama's book brings basic wisdom we can all follow for peace on earth, regardless of our views. Read these Dalai Lama quotes if you want to promote love in the world instead of hatred, healing instead of more pain.
These Dalai Lama quotes are from his book An Appeal to the World.
In response to the turbulence in the world today, this “handbook” offers invaluable insights aimed to help humanity focus on what unites us rather than what makes us different.
To build stronger relationships at home and out in the world, the Dalai Lama suggests mindfulness, patience, forgiveness, benevolence, tolerance, generosity, humility, and affection.
Regardless of our views, compassion is possible. Always. There is no perspective worth losing our compassion over.
35 Dalai Lama Quotes about Developing the Inner Values That Will Benefit the World
1. “Empathy is the basis of human coexistence. It is my belief that human development relies on cooperation and not competition. That is scientifically proven.” — Dalai Lama
2. “The most important question we can ask for a better world is ‘How can we serve each other?’ To make that shift, we need to sharpen our awareness.” — Dalai Lama
3. “The primary causes of war and violence are our negative emotions. We give them too much space and give too little space to our intellects and our compassion.” — Dalai Lama
4. “I suggest more listening, more contemplation, more meditation.” — Dalai Lama
5. “I will always stand by nonviolence. That means intelligently loving your enemy.” - Dalai Lama
6. “By following purely secular ethics, we will become more easygoing, empathetic, and judicious people. Then there is a chance for the twenty-first century to be a century of peace, a century of dialogue, and a century of a more caring, responsible, and empathetic human race.” — Dalai Lama
7. “Through meditation and contemplation we can learn, for example, that patience is the most potent antidote for anger, satisfaction for greed, bravery for fear, and understanding for doubt. It is not very helpful to rage against others. Instead, we should strive to change ourselves.” — Dalai Lama
8. “We can never change the past, but we can always learn from it to create a better future.” — Dalai Lama
9. “Disarmament is compassion put into practice. But the prerequisite for external disarmament is an inner disarmament of hatred, prejudice, and intolerance.” — Dalai Lama
10. “I am deeply convinced that most human conflicts can be resolved through sincere dialogue.” - Dalai Lama
11. “Now the time has come to understand that we are the same human being on this planet.” — Dalai Lama
12. “The future of individualized nations always depends on the well-being of their neighbors.” — Dalai Lama
13. “We need a worldwide initiative for educating heart and mind, in this modern age.” — Dalai Lama
14. “Intolerance leads to hatred and division. Even our children should grow up with the idea that dialogue, and not violence, is the best and most practical way to solve conflicts.” — Dalai Lama
15. “The real meaning of our life, which we all pursue, whether with or without religion, is to be happy.” — Dalai Lama
16. “When we decide to cultivate the inner values that we all appreciate in other people, we begin to live spiritually.” — Dalai Lama
17. “I don’t have any enemies, only people I haven’t met yet.” — Dalai Lama
18. “There won’t be external peace until there is more inner peace.” - Dalai Lama
19. “Happiness is not just a matter of good luck, it’s an ability that all people hold within themselves. Everyone can be or become happy.” — Dalai Lama
20. “One aspect of compassion is being prepared to act spontaneously for the sake of others.” — Dalai Lama
21. “We often know what to do but we don’t do what we know.” — Dalai Lama
22. “We need to overcome our personal limitations and understand other people’s points of view.” — Dalai Lama
23. “I’m just one person out of more than seven billion. That’s also why I never feel lonely.” — Dalai Lama
24. “Suffering can provide real training for life.” - Dalai Lama
25. “If we want to make this world a better place, we need to become better people ourselves. There isn’t a convenient path. We must start by seeing the humanity in our enemies.” — Dalai Lama
26. “If you respect your enemies, they might become your friends one day.” — Dalai Lama
27. “According to our biological nature, we are animals that thrive in an environment of compassion, caring, affection, and warm-heartedness.” — Dalai Lama
28. “Loving our neighbor is more pleasant for all of us than hating what is different.” — Dalai Lama
29. “All true progress needs to be voluntary and freely chosen.” — Dalai Lama
30. “Science teaches us today that true happiness is not only possible, it is our birthright.” - Dalai Lama
31. “In an age of globalization, tolerance has better prospects than ever.” — Dalai Lama
32. “True patience requires great inner strength.” — Dalai Lama
33. “I have seen that, across the world, the use of force has never solved any problems.” — Dalai Lama
34. “Why should I get upset? Then I’d have to calm down again. And that would be much too exhausting.” — Dalai Lama
35. “I simply cannot live without laughing!” — Dalai Lama
. . .
Which of these quotes is your favorite?
Tell me in the comments. I read every single one, and I'd love to know!
P.S. First, tell yourself the things you need to hear. Get my book Morning Affirmations for hope and possibility first thing in the morning. Your day will be better. And you'll feel better. And it'll be easier to be better to everyone around you.
Leave a comment