Sharing your story is heart work. It's not easy work, but it might be the most important thing you’ll ever do. Read these quotes to remember how much your story matters. You're here to feel it, live it, tell it. And whatever you share might be what helps someone else heal, too.
The tragedies and the joys you’ve experienced could become someone else’s hope, the star they look to for comfort and guidance while they continue their own journey. Who are you NOT to offer the truths that might help heal?
You don’t just help people by sharing your story — you find people who care by sharing.
That’s what truth-telling is: letting others see what’s in your heart. You do it not to be a victim to the story, but to free yourself from the past and empower yourself and those listening to choose what comes next.
Sharing Your Story Is Heart Work
1. “After nourishment, shelter, and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.” — Philip Pullman
2. “The fact of storytelling hints at a fundamental human unease, hints at human imperfection. Where there is perfection there is no story to tell.” – Ben Okri
3. “Stories are a communal currency of humanity.” — Tahir Shah
4. “When you’re sharing, it offers the opportunity for someone to help you.” — Marala Scott
5. “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” — Maya Angelou
6. “Sharing our truths can provide the opportunity for great healing.” — Kristen Noel
7. “Your heartache is someone else’s hope. If you make it through, somebody else is going to make it through. Tell your story.” — Kim McManus
8. “When I am afraid to speak is when I speak. That is when it is most important.” — Nayyirah Waheed
9. “There is a surrendering to your story and then a knowing that you don’t have to stay in your story.” — Colette Baron Reid
10. “You are not your illness. You have an individual story to tell. You have a name, a history, a personality. Staying yourself is part of the battle.” — Julian Seifter
11. “Tears are words that need to be written.” — Paulo Coelho
12. “Tell the story of the mountain you climbed. Your words could become a page in someone else’s survival guide.” — Morgan Harper Nichols
13. “Part of the healing process is sharing with other people who care.” — Jerry Cantrell
14. “Our collective stories and experience can be the greatest textbooks of life. But with every shameful story stuffed away, we bypass the chance to expand and connect — a missed opportunity slipped through our fingers.” — Kristen Noel
15. “You’re not a victim for sharing your story. You are a survivor setting the world on fire with your truth. And you never know who needs your light, your warmth and raging courage.” — Alex Elle
16. “Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we will ever do.” — Brené Brown
17. “Sometimes the most healing thing to do is remind ourselves over and over and over, other people feel this too.” — Andrea Gibson
18. “Other people are going to find healing in your wounds. Your greatest life messages and your most effective ministry will come out of your deepest hurts.”— Rick Warren
19. “The courage it takes to share your story might be the very thing someone else needs to open their heart to hope.” — Unknown
20. “The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon.” — Brandon Sanderson
. . .
Which of these quotes is your favorite?
Tell me in the comments. I read every single one, and I'd love to know!
Share to free yourself. You’ll awaken that same freedom in others who have witnessed your story.
Only ever love,
P.S. Want courage you can hold, so you never forget how strong you (and your story) are? Go visit my shop for the handwritten poetry print I recommend.