Surprise: each of these quotes about self-care are from my new book, Sleep Rituals, which happens to be about more than getting a good night’s sleep: it’s a self-care menu. Basically, you’re asking yourself how you can help your future self and that, in itself, is a recipe for a nice, long moment of real rest. (Sweet relief)
“Rituals enhance your ability to sweeten your life through something as simple as how you prepare for sleep.” — from Sleep Rituals: 100 Practices for a Deep and Peaceful Sleep
How’s your sleep?
How do you feel when you come home and settle in for the night? Still stressed? Exhausted? Is your cup “empty” or are you fulfilled, mind open and heart receptive to this moment and everything that’s here with you?
Each ritual in my new book, Sleep Rituals: 100 Practices for a Deep and Peaceful Sleep (which is now available!) is a treat and a peace treaty, setting the stage for a divine slumber — and a healing dose of self-respect.
The intention: let’s fill your cup, not your time.
What’s a sleep ritual?
Think of anything you already do (or would like to do, or need to do) before bed — make a cup of tea, draw a bath, meditate, some light stretching — and bring your full attention and an open heart to this one moment. Be here, fully. Breathe deeply. Leave distractions behind. Choose wonder over worry and restoration over excitement.
This heightened degree of mindfulness and care-full intention is at the heart of any ritual: a deeply personal, even spiritual, practice.
Tune out distractions and turn inward: that's where you'll find the real rest you're seeking.
Don’t let the title fool you: Sleep Rituals is more than a bundle of rituals. This is a chance to recharge and get back to what really matters to you.
Sweet restoration. You need it.
Here are some favorite quotes about self-care that I pulled from the book, to spark hope and healing in the deepest corners of your soul.
Quotes about Self-Care from My New Book, Sleep Rituals (it’s not just about sleep)
1. “Great self-care is custom, intuitive, and kind.”
2. “Embrace your intuition, even if it’s not as crystalline as you would like it to be: this is a stepping stone toward harmony. Your subtle inner inklings offer guidance like nothing else can.”
3. “Rooting yourself in the present moment turns out to be real self-care.”
4. “Genuine care is closely related to #compassion and is lovely when laced with patience and curiosity.”
5. “One of the greatest gifts you can give yourself is your own unwavering attention.”
6. “If something needs resolution, it first needs loving attention.”
7. “This is the thing: supportive self-talk is important because you are always listening to and processing the stories you tell yourself.”
8. “It is only through your unconditional loving presence that deep healing can occur.”
9. “Consider how every circumstance is specifically designed to bring to the surface what most needs your love.”
10. “When there is only love flowing through you, there is no room for anything that is not love.”
11. “Forgiveness is the practice of softening your need for a different past. Instead, you place your point of power in the present moment. It is a conscious, ongoing decision to devote more energy to loving your life, here and now, than to feeding the energy of the initial insult.”
12. “Leaning in and loosening the grip of every ‘should’ and ‘should have’ means you get to play with another perspective, here and now, and that is where the real transformation happens.”
13. “Consider this: you are here in physical form because the universe longs to experience itself through you.”
14. “You are an inherent part of the slow dance of life.”
15. “Feeling as though you are beautifully entangled with everything is a salve and a sedative for the mind, body, and soul.”
16. “Your physical presence on earth is worthy of celebration.”
17. “Your body is always showing up for you, listening and responding to you, doing its best to give you a full experience of life. Approaching your body with that same level of commitment is a radical act of self-care…”
18. “The full moon is not the only opportunity to nurture your dreams; seeding positive change is not reserved for the new moon. Every single night offers the hope of renewal.”
. . .
Which of these quotes is your favorite?
Tell me in the comments. I read every single one, and I'd love to know!
P.S. Stop taking stress to bed with you and get my book Sleep Rituals for 100 at-home practices that are all about you + the present moment. You'll sleep, and feel... so much better.