30 Quotes about Home Being a Room in the Heart
Home could mean a person, a place, a state of mind, or peace inside. For me? Home is but a room in the heart. And it’s only through love that you can ever truly feel at home. Read these quotes about home if you think so too. Take what you love, and decorate your soul with it.
When there’s love in the home, there’s joy in the heart. When there’s joy in the heart, there’s love in the home.
30 Heartfelt Quotes about Home
1. “A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it.” – George Moore
2. “A home is a kingdom of its own in the midst of the world, a stronghold amid life’s storms and stresses, a refuge, even a sanctuary.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
3. “Maybe at the heart of all our traveling is the dream of someday, somehow, getting Home.” – Frederick Buechner
4. “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” – Jane Austen
5. “The magic thing about home is that it feels good to leave, and it feels even better to come back.” – Wendy Wunder
6. “Home, the spot of earth supremely blest, a dearer, sweeter spot than all the rest.” – Robert Montgomery
7. “Give the ones you love wings to fly, roots to come back and reasons to stay.” – Dalai Lama
8. “We carry our homes within us, which enables us to fly.” – John Cage
9. “Home should be an anchor, a port in a storm, a refuge, a happy place in which to dwell, a place where we are loved and where we can love.” – Marvin J. Ashton
10. “Nothing can bring a real sense of security into the home except true love.” – Billy Graham
11. “Going home means getting comfortable being who you are and who your soul really wants to be. There is no strain with that. The strain and tension come when we’re not being who our soul wants to be and we’re someplace where our soul doesn’t feel at home.” – Melody Beattie
12. “Home is wherever you leave everything you love and never question that it will be there when you return.” – Leo Christopher
13. “Being happy at home is the end of all ambition.” – Samuel Johnson
14. “It didn’t matter how big our house was; it mattered that there was love in it.” – Peter Buffett
15. “The strength of a nation derives from the integrity of the home.” – Confucius
16. “Home should be an oratorio of the memory, singing to all our after life melodies and harmonies of old remembered joy.” – Henry Ward Beecher
17. “The home should be the treasure chest of living.” – Le Corbusier
18. “Home is the nicest word there is.” – Laura Ingalls Wilder
19. “A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.” – Unknown (possibly from Dalai Lama XIV)
20. “It’s not about how big the house is. It’s how happy the home is.” – Unknown
21. “He is the happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home.” – Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
22. “The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.” – Maya Angelou
23. “I’ve learned that home isn’t a place, it’s a feeling.” – Cecelia Ahearn
24. “A good home must be made, not bought.” – Joyce Maynard
25. “Where we love is home – home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
26. “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” – Lin Yutang
27. “He traveled in order to come home.” – William Trevor
28. “When I was at home, I was in a better place.” – William Shakespeare
29. “The prospect of going home is very appealing.” – David Ginola
30. “There is beauty all around, when there’s love at home.” – John H. McNaughton
Which of these quotes about home is your favorite?
Tell me in the comments. I read every single one, and I’d love to know!
P.S. Need more peace at home? Get my book Sleep Rituals with 100 practices for a deep and peaceful sleep. You’ll sleep better, but even more important: you’ll grow love from the inside out. And you’ll feel it in every room.
Comments on this post (7)
Home is the nicest word there is. -Laura Ingalls Wilder
— Bonnie Mola
My favourite quote here is… “Home could mean a person, a place, a state of mind, or peace inside. For me? Home is but a room in the heart. And it’s only through love that you can ever truly feel at home.” – Jennifer Williamson (you!)
— Debrah Gai Lewis
Hi..who said: “If there be love in the heart-there will peace in the home and order in the nation”
— David Young
I love that you found this quote from Billy Graham here. Thanks for sharing this with me! And I agree, love fills a space like nothing else can. I hope the ladies enjoy it :) ~ jen
— Jennifer Williamson
I am making Mother’s Day cards for the ladies of my congregation and was looking for a good quote from someone famous. I love the one from the Reverend Billy Graham. I used to love watching his crusades on TV as a young girl, and committed my life to Jesus during one of them. It’s nice being able to pass on a superb quote from him to the ladies of my church.
Louise, I’m so grateful you found this collection and it spoke to you so perfectly! Thanks for commenting and letting me know :) ~ jen
— Jennifer Williamson
I recently joined a memoir class and
Found your collection of quotes on
Home so perfect in Expressing my
Thoughts. Just lovely.
— Louise Yots