You know how freeing it feels to belong to yourself, to be your own advocate? It’s nice, standing in stark contrast to suppressing who you are. Here are a dozen quotes about being brave enough to stand in your own presence and live life on your own terms. That’s the freedom that underlies the greatest joys of living.
The light that you’re worried about losing? That’s a seed that cannot be unplanted.
For the purposes of this post, light could mean your potential in general; ability to change; resiliency; innermost truth (who you really are and can be, or wholeness); worthiness of grace, forgiveness, opportunity. You can’t lose these “things.” They’re already part of you. That’s some good news.
Why it’s such a challenge to be true to ourselves — to the light, the flame, that’s within — and to stand up for who we really are, I’m not entirely sure. It could be that our beliefs confine us rather than liberate us. Maybe it’s because we’re simply not used to accepting that we’re capable and worthy of walking in the direction of what we most desire.
It takes an element of bravery to advocate for yourself and what you’re capable of being, doing, and having. It takes some courage-mustering to set bold intentions for what we really want in this lifetime — like work that fulfills us, or relationships that feel free — and to then act on them. It’s a lot of work.
A naked heart, meaning that your authenticity and loving nature are unbarred, offered to the world with as few conditions as possible? That’s a whole other story.
Your willingness to remain vulnerable, especially in the face of rejection or in the wake of trauma, is incredibly difficult, but your open heart will take you further than you could ever imagine. Walls might keep the danger out, but they keep the pain in.
Keeping a “naked” heart is not an easy decision to make, but it’s the path to inner ease. It’s part of being true to yourself, honoring all the seasons of your life, and living into what you desire most in this lifetime: peace; true love; authentic joy; fulfillment; meaningful connection.
Being there for yourself is how you become truly strong — from the inside out and from the ground up.
Here are some quotes about being brave enough to believe in your own light (potential, strength, truth, worth, choices). I think we could all use a reminder of who we are and can be, what we can have and do.
12 Quotes about Being Brave Enough to Be Who You Need to Be
1. “True belonging is a spiritual practice, and it’s about the ability to find sacredness in both being a part of something but also the courage to stand alone.” — Brené Brown
2. “You are not strong
because you feel strong.
You are strong
because you feel weak —
and still, here you are.”
— Jennifer Williamson
“When I am afraid to speak is when I speak. That is when it is most important.” ― Nayyirah Waheed
4. “Life is always listening to hear what you want, but you have to believe you deserve to have it or I don’t think life can deliver it to you — at least not with ease.” — Danielle LaPorte
5. “Observing your faults with forgiveness and your flaws with friendliness is one way to practice the courage of authenticity.” — Jennifer Williamson
6. “When we are brave enough to look at our darkness, we become courageous enough to shine our light.” — Alexi Panos
“Authenticity is the courage to be imperfect.” — Jillian Landis
8. “I already know what it feels like
to let my doubts keep me small.
I’d like to see what happens
when I lead with my heart anyway,
doubts and all.”
— Jennifer Williamson
9. “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings you joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” — Jean Shinoda Bolen
10. “Bravery is not the absence of fear. Bravery is feeling the fear, the doubt, the insecurity, and deciding that something else is more important.” — Mark Manson
“Daring to set boundaries is about having the courage to love ourselves even when we risk disappointing others.” - Brene Brown
12. “It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent.” — Madeleine Albright
Which of these quotes is your favorite?
Tell me in the comments. I read every single one, and I'd love to know!
May your intentions be bold and your heart be naked. And remember that starting again is part of the light you’ve been given.
P.S. Need more strength? Read these quotes to remember you're strong not because you feel strong, but because you show up anyway.