Meditation is a quieting of the mind (underneath all the thoughts), a settling of the body, a knowing of the soul. Read these meditation quotes to remember who you are underneath all those thoughts, and come back home to yourself. It feels so good.
“The soul always knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind.” – Caroline Myss
When you meditate, you make contact with the powerful source that creates everything, the energy and the life that's constantly giving. In this place, you can let go of all the labels and stories, and settle into who you are.
Whether you’ve been meditating for a long time or you’re new to the practice, these meditation quotes will remind you: you're not the thoughts you think. You're so much more than that.
30 Inspiring Meditation Quotes for Stillness in the Middle of the Storm
1. “Meditation practice isn’t about trying to throw ourselves away and become something better, it’s about befriending who we are.” – Ani Pema Chodron
2. “The thing about meditation is: You become more and more you.” – David Lynch
3. “The things that trouble our spirits are within us already. In meditation, we must face them, accept them, and set them aside one by one.” – Cristopher L Bennett
4. “Meditation can reintroduce you to the part that’s been missing” – Russell Simmons
5. “Meditation brings wisdom; lack of mediation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.” – Buddha
6. “Meditation is medicine to quiet the chaotic mind, and it allows us to listen to the wisdom of our souls.” – Dr. Romie
7. “Meditate. Let the light of the heart engulf you.” – Gurumayi Chidvilasananda
8. “Meditation is not a means to an end. It is both the means and the end.” – Jiddu Krishnamurti
9. “Meditation is not a way of making your mind quiet. It is a way of entering into the quiet that is already there – buried under the 50,000 thoughts the average person thinks every day.” – Deepak Chopra
10. “We live, in fact, in a world starved for solitude, silence, and private: and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship.” – C.S. Lewis
11. “As gold purified in a furnace loses its impurities and achieves its own true nature, the mind gets rid of the impurities of the attributes of delusion, attachment and purity through meditation and attains Reality.” – Adi Shankara
12. “Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.” – Benjamin Franklin
13. “Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” – Aristotle
14. “Generally we waste our lives, distracted from our true selves, in endless activity. Meditation is the way to bring us back to ourselves, where we can really experience and taste our full being.” – Sogyal Rinpoche
15. “The whole of meditation practice can be essentialized into these 3 crucial points: Bring your mind home. Release. And relax!” – Sogyal Rinpoche
16. “Just as the ocean has waves or the sun has rays, so the mind’s own radiance is its thoughts and emotions.” – Sogyal Rinpoche
17. “Quiet the mind, and the soul will speak.” – Ma Jaya Sati Bhagavati
18. “In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.” – Mahatma Gandhi
19. “When the mind goes beyond the thought of ‘the me,’ the experiencer, the observer, the thinker, then there is a possibility of a happiness that is incorruptible.” – Jiddu Krishnamurti
20. “All of man’s difficulties are caused by his inability to sit, quietly, in a room by himself.” – Blaise Pascal
21. “I know but one freedom and that is the freedom of the mind.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
22. “It’s helpful to remind yourself that meditation is about opening and relaxing with whatever arises, without picking and choosing.” – Pema Chodron
23. “In the beginning you will fall into the gaps in between thoughts – after practicing for years, you become the gap.” – J. Kleykamp
24. “Meditation is listening to the divine within.” – Edgar Cayce
25. “Work is not always required. There is such a thing as sacred idleness.” – George MacDonald
26. “The more regularly and the more deeply you meditate the sooner you will find yourself acting always from a center of inner peace.” – J. Donald Walters
27. “When there is peace and meditation, there is neither anxiety nor doubt.” – St. Francis de Sales
28. “Meditation is absolute comfort and getting back to the serenity which is your original nature.” – Sri Sri
29. “If you have time to breathe, you have time to meditate.” – Ajahn Amaro
30. “Meditation is another dimension of natural beauty. People talk about appreciating natural beauty – climbing mountains, seeing giraffes and tigers in Africa, and all sorts of things. But nobody seems to appreciate this kind of natural beauty of ourselves. This is actually far more beautiful than flora and fauna, far more fantastic, far more painful and colorful and delightful.” – Chogyam Trungpa
. . .
Which of these quotes is your favorite?
Tell me in the comments. I read every single one, and I’d love to know!
To a mind that’s still, the whole universe surrenders.
P.S. Clear away distraction so you can get to the heart of what you want your life to feel like. Get my book Sleep Rituals for 100 at-home practices that are all about you + the present moment. There's a whole chapter of meditations, and another with visualizations. Come back home, back to heart, back to *you*.