Sometimes, paper is the best listener. It doesn't matter if you love to write or not. If you want to feel better, try these journaling prompts for stress relief. Use them for self-discovery, recovery, and to clear out the cobwebs in your head. Your whole life will feel... lighter, and spacious.
“We should be grateful for all the situations that make us the most uncomfortable, because without them we would not know there is something unhealed within us.” — Ken Wapnick
A few tips on using these journaling prompts:
- Don’t censor yourself. Write imperfectly, privately, openly, and honestly. If you don’t want anyone to see what you’ve written, you can shred or burn the pages (safely, of course) once you’ve finished.
- Do something that relaxes you and clears your mind before you write. I like to meditate or stretch first.
- Let it all go. Start writing and keep your pen moving until there’s a natural pause and you feel finished with that train of thought.
11 Journaling Prompts for Stress Relief, and Living the Way *You* Want To
1. I find myself repeating this script in my head today:
2. Right now, I feel challenged by ________. I feel supported when ________.
3. I have been paying a lot of attention to ________. I would like to pay more attention to ________; I can devote more energy to the better-feeling alternatives by ________.
“Write hard and clear about what hurts.” — Ernest Hemingway
4. The things that help me the most right now are…
5. What can I do in this moment to get myself some nourishment and self-care?
6. I am thankful that I…
7. How might this stressful experience transform me into a more loving (compassionate, forgiving, patient, helpful, or faithful) person?
8. What past challenge has turned out to be a gift in disguise (even if it’s still painful)? Why? What was the silver lining?
“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” — William Wordsworth
9. What’s not wrong in my life? Here are three things that I can think of right now:
10. If I knew that anything I asked for would be answered, I would ask for ________.
11. What do I want my life to FEEL like?
“Tears are words that need to be written.” — Paulo Coelho
. . .
Which of these prompts did you need the most today?
Tell me in the comments. I read every single one, and I'd love to know!
P.S. Need a little more help letting go? Get my book Sleep Rituals for 100 at-home practices that are all about you and the present moment. It’s more than a book about sleeping better. It’ll help you feel better so you can live and love better. And that’s… everything.