Healing isn't about moving on, but moving in, diving into your feelings and showing up for your own pain, your own suffering. Here are some quotes about healing to help you open your heart to what's possible right here. No matter what you've been through.
The places that hurt the most are the places that need the most love.
20 Quotes about Healing to Uplift and Soothe
1. “The place of true healing is a fierce place. It’s a giant place. It’s a place of monstrous beauty and endless dark and glimmering light. And you have to work really, really, really hard to get there, but you can do it.” — Cheryl Strayed, Tiny, Beautiful Things
2. “Wounds don’t heal the way you want them to, they heal the way they need to. It takes time for wounds to fade into scars. It takes time for the process of healing to take place. Give yourself that time. Give yourself that grace. Be gentle with your wounds. Be gentle with your heart. You deserve to heal.” — Dele Olanubi
3. “Keep on going, and the chances are that you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I never heard of anyone ever stumbling on something sitting down.” — Charles F. Kettering
4. “Our wounds are often the openings into the best and most beautiful part of us.” — David Richo
5. “Don’t hold together what must fall apart. The familiar life crumbles so the new life can begin.” — Bryant McGill
6. “Grief is itself a medicine.” — William Cowper
7. “Grief is like a long valley, a winding valley where any bend may reveal a totally new landscape… Sometimes the surprise is the opposite one; you are presented with exactly the same sort of country you thought you had left behind miles ago. That is when you wonder whether the valley isn’t a circular trench. But it isn’t. There are partial recurrences, but the sequence doesn’t repeat.”— C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed
8. “I am better off healed than I ever was unbroken.” — Beth Moore
9. “For the seed to achieve its greatest expression, it must come completely undone. The shell cracks, its insides come out, and everything changes. To someone who doesn’t understand growth, it would look like a complete destruction.” — Cynthia Occelli
10. “Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.” — Max Ehrmann
11. “Denial helps us to pace our feelings of grief. There is a grace in denial. It is nature’s way of letting in only as much as we can handle.” — Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
10. “The trick is to be grateful when your mood is high and graceful when it is low.” — Richard Carlson
13. “Pain is the doorway to wisdom and to truth.” — Keith Miller
14. “We think that the point is to pass the test or overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don’t really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again… The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy.” — Pema Chödrön
15. “Going through things you never thought you’d go through will only take you places you never thought you’d get to.” — Morgan Harper Nichols
14. “Drink from the well of your self and begin again.” — Charles Bukowski
17. “Hard times arouse an instinctive desire for authenticity.” — Coco Chanel
18. “One life on this earth is all that we get, whether it is enough or not enough, and the obvious conclusion would seem to be that at the very least we are fools if we do not live it as fully and bravely and beautifully as we can.” — Frederick Buechner
19. “There is a crack… in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” — Leonard Cohen
20. “The healer you have been looking for is your own courage to know and love yourself completely.” — Yung Pueblo
. . .
Which of these quotes is your favorite?
Tell me in the comments. I read every single one, and I’d love to know!
Honor where you’ve been. Be where you are. Connect to the energy of where you’d like to go.
P.S. Never forget how far you’ve come, how much potential you have. Go visit my shop to find the (im)perfect poetry print that celebrates you in your fullness, in your mess and magic and everything in between.