The lotus is a flower with a wealth of spiritual symbolism tied to Egyptology, Hinduism, and Buddhism. Each culture lends a slightly different take, but the lotus reflects spiritual awakening, purity, potential, rebirth, creation, and eternity.
If you love what the lotus stands for too, get this companion poetry print, handwritten by me!
To blossom, the lotus flower must grow through mud and dirty pond water. But it blooms anyway.
Though conditions are tough, the lotus heeds the call of the sun each morning, breaks the surface of the water and blooms untouched by the mud; each petal remains clean and pure. Closing at night, it sinks below the water’s surface, only to resurface again in the morning.
Fully grounded in the earth, aspiring toward the divine, ever blooming from within toward the light.
These lotus quotes are reminders that in a hard world, you can stay loving inside and, one by one, open your petals to spread that you-ness into the world.
Like the lotus, you too can grow through dark times and difficulties. You can rise again and again to shine like new because there’s something inside of you that the world can’t touch.
As you’re reading these lotus quotes, remember your own resilient nature. No matter how muddy your surroundings, you’re budding with potential. That’s something no terrible thing can take away from you.
20 Lotus Flower Quotes Worth Pondering
1. “As a lotus flower is born in water, grows in water and rises out of water to stand above it unsoiled, so I, born in the world, raised in the world having overcome the world, live unsoiled by the world.” – Buddha
2. “The lotus comes from the murkiest water but grows into the purest thing.” – Nita Ambani
3. “Just like the lotus we too have the ability to rise from the mud, bloom out of the darkness and radiate into the world.” – Unknown
4. “There is the mud, and there is the lotus that grows out of the mud. We need the mud in order to make the lotus.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
5. “From the mud of adversity grows the lotus of joy.” – Carolyn Marsden
6. “As the lotus rises on its stalk unsoiled by the mud and water, so the wise one speaks of peace and is unstained by the opinions of the world.” – Buddha
7. “If you feel lost, disappointed, hesitant, or weak, return to yourself, to who you are, here and now and when you get there, you will discover yourself, like a lotus flower in full bloom, even in a muddy pond, beautiful and strong.” – Masaru Emoto
8. “By means of microscopic observation and astronomical projection the lotus flower can become the foundation for an entire theory of the universe and an agent whereby we may perceive Truth.” – Yukio Mishima
9. “Water surrounds the lotus flower, but does not wet its petals.” – Gautama Buddha
10. “Whenever you should doubt your self-worth, remember the lotus flower. Even though it plunges to life from beneath the mud, it does not allow the dirt that surrounds it to affect its growth or beauty.” – Suzy Kassem
11. “Out of the mud of your fears, struggles, pain and confusion, the lotus flower of your inner heart will spontaneously grow.” – Anon I Mus
12. “Live life in its totality. And living in the world, don’t be of it. Live in the world like a lotus flower in water: it lives in water, but the water touches it not.” – Osho
13. “May I live like the lotus at ease in the muddy water.” – Unknown
14. “It’s like growing lotus flowers. You cannot grow lotus flowers on marble. You have to grow them on the mud. Without mud you cannot have lotus flowers. Without suffering, you have no way to learn how to be understanding and compassionate.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
15. “The lotus flower blooms most beautifully from the deepest and thickest mud.” – Buddhist Proverb
16. “Your heart is full of fertile seeds, waiting to sprout. Just as a lotus flower springs from the mire to bloom splendidly, the interaction of the cosmic breath causes the flower of the spirit to bloom and bear fruit in this world.” – Morihei Ueshiba
17. “The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all.” – Mulan
18. “The lotus flower is a reminder of the beauty that comes from change, the magic that a new beginning brings, and the seed of potential that’s buried in the most unlikely places.” – Jennifer Williamson
19. “No mud, no lotus.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
20. “The lotus is the most beautiful flower, whose petals open one by one. But it will only grow in the mud. In order to grow and gain wisdom, first you must have the mud — the obstacles of life and its suffering. … The mud speaks of the common ground that humans share, no matter what our stations in life. … Whether we have it all or we have nothing, we are all faced with the same obstacles: sadness, loss, illness, dying and death. If we are to strive as human beings to gain more wisdom, more kindness and more compassion, we must have the intention to grow as a lotus and open each petal one by one.” – Goldie Hawn
. . .
And tell me:
Which of these lotus quotes is your favorite?
Tell me in the comments. I read every single one, and I’d love to know!